Print Speed

Label printing integration (NiceWatch middleware and ActiveX programming interface)

Moderators: Georges, milos, NiceLabel Support Team

VicenteR93
Newcomer

Print Speed

Post by VicenteR93 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:58 pm

Hello everyone,
I have a problem with print speed in my c# app, it takes like 20 seconds to print another label.
The printer is working with the default settings. Do I have to send a parameter with the sdk?

We test the printer with an old app written in VB and it does not take to much time.
The printer is a Zebra ZT420-203dpi. I already have installed the nicelabel drivers

dado
NiceLabel Development
NiceLabel Development

Re: Print Speed

Post by dado » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:02 pm

Hi Vincente

I have a couple of questions before we begin...
  • What software are you using and which version (by this I mean the exact build number, check the dll properties).
  • What do you mean by "another label"? Does this mean that the first label is printed fast and others take 20 seconds to print? Could you specify in times how much the first label takes, how much a label with one simple rectangle takes, how much till the second label?
  • What exactly is on the label. Do you have so much elements that it takes that much time to generate the print stream.
  • What port is the printer connected to. But this one is simple to check. Just print anything from another software and you'll see if the print is slow.
  • What happens if you print from NiceLabel and you use the same label? Is the print also slow?

Regards, Damjan

VicenteR93
Newcomer

Post by VicenteR93 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:09 am

1) I'm using the SDK .NET library and the version 17.3.0.2349

2) It is just one label for the moment, is the speed about printing the copies. Every copy even the first one takes 28 seconds to print. Printing an image or a rectangle take at least 20 seconds.

3) We have 2 barcodes.

4) Is connected in the COM1 with a NullModem cable. We send an image from Word to the printer and took 20 seconds too.

5) Yes, from the designer is slow too. It take the same amount of time.

We didn't know that the customer was using NullModem cable to comunicate(because the transmition is slow and more for images) with the printer and after told them to connect the printer via ethernet that solve our speed problem.

Thanks for your reply dado.

dado
NiceLabel Development
NiceLabel Development

Post by dado » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:54 am

Hi

It certainly takes some amount of time to load the assemblies for the first time when doing the first print. That is why I would leave the sdk.net loaded once the printing is done for the next print to be faster. This depends on the speed of the system. But taking 20 seconds to send something to the printer means either very slow COM connection or very slow printer.

Can you pause the port. This is done by opening Devices and Printers and double click on your printer. Then open Printer and click on the Pause printing. Now go to this folder "c:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS".
Print something from your application and immediately check this folder. How long does it take for the print stream to get to the folder?

If the print stream is there quickly this means that the system then takes a lot of time to send the stream to the printer.

Let me know what you find out.

Regards, Damjan