Print Label from RS232 Scale

Label printing integration (NiceWatch middleware and ActiveX programming interface)

Moderators: Georges, milos, NiceLabel Support Team

sonneh
Enthusiast

Print Label from RS232 Scale

Post by sonneh » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:22 pm

Hello,

I am very new to the NiceLabel suite so I am pretty clueless at the moment. I am trying to print a label using the data sent a serial com port. I have the com port configured correctly in windows and the Nice suite. My employer said he thinks that this would have to be accomplished using NiceWatch and triggers. After reading threads in this forum, it sounds like this can be accomplished easily and efficiently in NiceForm. Is this true? If anyone would be kind enough to walk me through the process of doing this I would greatly appreciate it!!! I would like the label to be generated automatically when an item is placed on the scale and stable. Here are the interface specs for my scale.

Brecknell 7010SB:
RS-232, No-handshake, continuous transmit only.
Fixed 2400 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 2 stop bits.
Fixes ASCll character continuous transmission.

Again I am completely new to NiceLabel and printing labels. (I'm an intern and andhave been tasked with this job :? )

Dennis Ehmig
Addict
Addict

Re: Print Label from RS232 Scale

Post by Dennis Ehmig » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:57 am

Hi,

this can be achieved in multiple ways.
If you need data to be manually entered in addition to the data from the scale, you will need to make use of NiceForm. It allows you to easily create a form where users can enter data and different actions can be executed (like reading data from a serial port).
Your boss is right if the process is supposed to be fully automated. NiceWatch (or its successor Automation) allow you to define triggers, certain things that trigger actions. One of those triggers is a serial port trigger that watches a serial port and starts to execute actions based on different criteria.

The actions that need to be executed are pretty straight forward, the most basic case being "Open Label" > "Print Label", but there obviously can be much more to it, depending on what you want to print.