Baffling error from Loftware

Software technical issues not related to any of the other categories

Moderators: Georges, milos, NiceLabel Support Team

JohnM16
Newcomer

Baffling error from Loftware

Post by JohnM16 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:11 pm

Hi Folks,

after the recent Loftware/Nicelabel merger, I guess it might be a bit early to start posing difficult Loftware questions, but here goes.

We run an SAP ERP system, and Loftware on a remote server. To print labels from Loftware, we invoke something in SAP called an RFC (a remote function call), which effectively resides on the Loftware server, and rely on a connection between them.

This particular RFC is called LOFTWARE_PRINT_REQUEST_CONFIRM, and is called from bespoke SAP code. SAP passes data to the function, Loftware prints (a) label(s), and the function returns a numeric code to SAP, indicating success or failure. Under some circumstances, the RFC may also return a text message.

The connection between SAP and Loftware relies on an "RFC destination" in SAP, which links via TCP/IP to the Loftware server, and a 'listener' program in Loftware called the SAP Connector. Providing both are working, we should have connectivity and printing functionality.

We can test the connection from the SAP side easily, and we can see if the SAP Connector (which runs as a service on the Loftware server) is running by checking the Windows services.

After many months of successful label printing, print requests stopped working today with the error message: "Function LOFTWARE_PRINT_REQUEST_CONFIRM not found".

Testing from the SAP side indicates the RFC destination is working perfectly (response time < 4ms). The SAP Connector service on the Loftware server is up and running. But for some reason, SAP isn't 'seeing' the Loftware listener service.

I can ping both servers, and I can successfully carry out a remote login onto the Loftware server.

The Loftware server hasn't been updated recently, nor has the SAP instance. Neither server has recently been rebooted, and the physical infrastructure hasn't been touched. There have been no changes to user accounts or authorisations.

I can't find the error on the Loftware website, and they don't appear to have their own forums. If they do, and I'm too dumb to find it/them, could some wonderful person let me have the URL, and/or forward this query to them.

Thanks to all for having the patience to get this far.

Cheers

John M.

JohnM16
Newcomer

Re: Baffling error from Loftware

Post by JohnM16 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:32 am

Problem solved.