beginner issues creating 1 by 1......

Issues related to label design (working with databases, data processing, RFID encoding etc.) and printing (from NiceLabel Express, NiceLabel Pro, NiceForm and NicePrint)

Moderators: Georges, milos, NiceLabel Support Team

loadsaaaTOP
Enthusiast

beginner issues creating 1 by 1......

Post by loadsaaaTOP » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:59 am

new to NL.

I am importing text files from microbiz pos.
I have 100s of labels to create with barcodes.

Initially i was creating a new label ech time. takes around 5 mins. Database wizrd, next next next. finally import all the info from the tag. Then open the info i need and rezise etc etc. Each label has name, different barcode, and price. company name is genric on all labels. I created a text box for that. Thats it

all my labels are either 5x3cm or 5x2cm.

How can i do this quicker? I tgried importing several labels. then, deleting the old info and replacing with the new info. It allows me to save, but when trying to print i get the error object reference not set to an instance of an object.

There must be an easier way?

Kyleodonnell
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Re: beginner issues creating 1 by 1......

Post by Kyleodonnell » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:03 pm

LoadsaaaTOP,

Is there a reason each label must be separate? The software allows for variable data, which means you can pair down the number of labels you need to create. As each label is unique, if you are using a database connection, it will have to be done on each label. Can you attach a sample of what you are trying to accomplish?

Kyleodonnell
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Post by Kyleodonnell » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:04 pm

We also recommend taking a look at automation which would allow you to drop text files into a folder and print labels automatically

loadsaaaTOP
Enthusiast

Post by loadsaaaTOP » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:39 am

kyle,
thanks for your reply. Please see the attached txt files. I have several 100. Creating individual labels for each. different name, barcode and price. label same size. A photo of the label also attached.

How can this be done quicker? If possible can you provide a step by step guide
Attachments
125448927_401344970997480_518049798955750056_n.jpg
125448927_401344970997480_518049798955750056_n.jpg (50.79 KiB) Viewed 249 times
TagPrint.pu16ck.txt
(194 Bytes) Downloaded 8 times
TagPrint.pusbss.txt
(210 Bytes) Downloaded 6 times
TagPrint.pu3gss.txt
(198 Bytes) Downloaded 7 times

Kyleodonnell
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Post by Kyleodonnell » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:44 pm

LoadsaaaTOP,

We recommend creating 1 label with the variables named after what is in your text file

SKU,Name,UPC,Price,Sale Price,Alt SKU,Product Id,Style,Mfr Price,Store Name,Bin Location,Supplier,Brand,Qty

Then you can use our automation software to create a filter based off your text files and tell it to monitor a folder, the text files can be dropped in the folder and then it will parse the data and print the label.
Please see the attached sample and please see the attached video on how to change the trigger to use your printer https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bihOVY ... sp=sharing. Once you have everything setup, simply take the .txt files and copy them to the drop folder in the sample

You can go
Attachments
Sample.zip
(11.66 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

loadsaaaTOP
Enthusiast

Post by loadsaaaTOP » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:28 am

Hi

Thanks again for the valuable info. Ive tried to give it a go and already stuck at the beginning. Is it possible to get a step by step guide to do this. from the beginning?
Sorry, but it makes sense what you say, im just clearly unable to put it into action!

Kyleodonnell
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Post by Kyleodonnell » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:15 pm

loadsaaaTOP

What issue are you having with the trigger? are you having an issue changing the printer? deploying it? are you using the sample or trying to create a new one?

Kyleodonnell
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Post by Kyleodonnell » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:20 pm

loadsaaaTOP

We also recommend opening a support casev https://www.nicelabel.com/support/techn ... gn=Support while the support team cannot walk you through creating a trigger we can answer questions about where you are having issues

loadsaaaTOP
Enthusiast

Post by loadsaaaTOP » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:35 pm

Kyle

I am slowly understanding what you are saying.
Many examples are linked to an excel database. But for me i have seperate txt files for each item.

How can i link the label to multiple txt files?
My label ive created is linked to the variable but only of the one label.

Thanks for your support. I will get there!

David

Kyleodonnell
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Post by Kyleodonnell » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:38 pm

David,

We do not see any photos. If you have multiple text files for multiple assorted products, it would be best to use automation. You will only really need to create one label if the format stays the same for every product. As we have shown in automation, you can drop a text file and it will map to the variables on the label.

loadsaaaTOP
Enthusiast

Post by loadsaaaTOP » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:33 pm

Cannot upload the photos.

My issue is multiple txt files. Do i need to merge into one? Ive followes the aitomation examples with an ezcel database but its not clear with txt files. I habe say 500. The resultant label will be the same size, ut different name, price amd barcode.

Kyleodonnell
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Post by Kyleodonnell » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:18 pm

David,

The software can print multiple text files, automation cannot use an excel database as excel is a formatted spread sheet. In the sample I sent you, the software is looking for a folder that you can drop the text files into, we will take the contents of the data, parse it out and print the label. We really recommend reaching out to support if you are having an issue with the sample.

loadsaaaTOP
Enthusiast

Post by loadsaaaTOP » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:27 am

Kyle,

Ok, i have got the sample downloaded and understand. Previously i was getting advice from someone else giving me spreadsheet advice. Foloowed your advice and now it makes sense. I put the txt files into the drop folder, opened automation manager and it started with no errors. Nothing printed though. Am i missing something. I changed the trigger to my printer

Kyleodonnell
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Post by Kyleodonnell » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:36 pm

David,

If you put the text files in before you started the trigger, the software will not recognize them. You can also turn on "track changes while trigger is inactive" in the builder, which will allow the software to monitor a folder while the trigger is stopped
2020-11-20_07h34_48.png
2020-11-20_07h34_48.png (50.05 KiB) Viewed 170 times
Once you make a change in the builder you must re-dploy the file to apply the changes to the manager.

loadsaaaTOP
Enthusiast

Post by loadsaaaTOP » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:00 am

Hi kyle

I have been plying and experinting with the sample now for a few days. Im getting there.

The name variable. How can i makenit that the whole text fits on the label. Some files are much longer than others and when i printed most didnt fit. Looks like it uses the same font size.

I tried setting up a sample folder myself. Sample2 solution2 etc. Al from scratch. Got so far but couldnt set up the printer under actions tab.

Anything you can help with

Thanks

David