Designing labels on PC not connected to a label printer

Issues related to label design (working with databases, data processing, RFID encoding etc.) and printing (from NiceLabel Express, NiceLabel Pro, NiceForm and NicePrint)

Moderators: Georges, milos, NiceLabel Support Team

jsutn
Newcomer

Designing labels on PC not connected to a label printer

Post by jsutn » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:50 pm

We're evaluating NiceLabel 2017 PowerForms to replace some old various versions of BarTender. I created a new solution for our standard product label and already ran into the same roadblock we had with BarTender where it ties the label template to a specific printer.

Engineering will be running the Designer on PCs in the front office which are only connected to local network laser printers. When I try to create a new label, it forces me to select one of the printers attached to my PC before going on to choose a label size. When I choose our label stock (IDENTCO TTL312, a 3x1.5" label on a roll) it blocks me from continuing because our local laser printers are only capable of standard 8.5x11 or 11x17 paper sizes.

I can get around it by setting the label dimensions to 3x1.5 and then setting paper type to "Manually set page size (sheets of paper)" and choosing 8.5x11 but this adds a huge margin to the label. I'm guessing this is going to cause the label to be pushed off the side of the actual label material when we try to print it on the actual printer.

How do I define a label on a PC that doesn't have the destination label printer attached? The label printers are connected to various printing PC stations around the building and all loaded with different size label stock so mapping every single one to each engineer's PC wouldn't work. Is there a way to override the "The dimensions defined are not compatible with the selected printer" error message?

Kyleodonnell
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Re: Designing labels on PC not connected to a label printer

Post by Kyleodonnell » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:20 pm

Jsutn,

There is no way to override the error with incompatible dimensions as the software reads the driver and what limitations it has. Best practice is to simply just install the driver for the printer that it will be printing on, on your PC. You do not need to have the physical printer connected, you simply just need the driver installed.