Database Alphabeticlization

Issues related to label design (working with databases, data processing, RFID encoding etc.) and printing (from NiceLabel Express, NiceLabel Pro, NiceForm and NicePrint)

Moderators: Georges, milos, NiceLabel Support Team

goombatommy
Valued Contributor

Database Alphabeticlization

Post by goombatommy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:11 pm

Hey folks. Question regarding alphabetizing items in a database. I've arranged them from A -> Z on the database via MS Access. However, the database of items is still not alphabetized when I launch the label form. Am I missing something, or is there another step to take to get the items alphabetized when the form reads it? Thanks a bunch! :D

goombatommy
Valued Contributor

Re: Database Alphabeticlization

Post by goombatommy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:11 pm

Ok - scratch that - I figuerd out how I will do that and that is through a SQL statement.

Now, my next problem is very akward. It only happens with certain databases/forms. When I click Data --> Database Access; select the Table and click EDIT, I recieve the following message:

Access violation at address 00AD050D in module "nform5.exe". Read of address 00000000.

Now this only happens with a select few databases. Nothing is different about these, compared to the ones I am having no issues with. Nobody but myself is using them, so its no other user working with the database. It is very puzzling - has anyone else had this happen? Thanks again!

jurk
Addict
Addict

Post by jurk » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:27 am

Hi there,

Can you send the databases and forms that are causing access violation to our technical support department (support (at) nicelabel.com) so we can have a look in the development.

Thank you,
Jurk
NiceLabel Development

goombatommy
Valued Contributor

Post by goombatommy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:33 pm

Hello Jurk,

Thank you for your quick response. Unfortunately, these databases have company sensitive material in them, which I cannot send to you. My co-worker and I found an alternate solution to this problem and that is to remove the database completely from the Form, then re-add it and re-link as necessary. It is tedious, but hopefully this will work.

If you could lend any other suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again!

jurk
Addict
Addict

Post by jurk » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:40 pm

Hello,

I understand your privacy concerns and totaly agree with you not to send us those files. Anyhow you can try to create a new sample database with sample data and replicate the problem / issue with it and send those over.

It is hard for me to give you a suggestion if I don't know what exactly are you trying to achieve.

Anyhow I am glad you have found a workarround, but since it's a workarround it's surely not as straight forward as the solution to your problem would be.
NiceLabel Development

alesp
NiceLabel Development
NiceLabel Development

Post by alesp » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:32 pm

Have you created index to sort the database? If you have indexes on the database then you can define to use them for searching and this will also mean that order of records you see in the table will be determined by it.

1. Go to "Data" menu item and select "Database Access..." option.
2. "Database Access Functions" dialog box will be shown.
3. Select database you want to use and click "Edit..." button.
4. "Database Access" dialog box with selected database properties will be shown.
5. Go to the "Search" page and select "Use index" option. Then you can select one of the indexes from a list. Please note that if the database does not have any indexes then this option will be disabled.
6. Click "OK" button to close the window.
7. Close "Database Access" dialog box.
8. Save form and run it (CTRL + F9). Records should be displayed in desired order. You should also see a drop down list of indexes on the table object. If you want to use a different sort order then select one of the indexes with a different order from a list.

Best regards,

Ales

goombatommy
Valued Contributor

Post by goombatommy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:05 pm

Hello Jurk,

I actually had resolved the issue with that error message I was getting. I simply loaded up the forms, deleted ALL database connections; and simply re-connected the database to the form. It all seems to be working fine now. I do appreciate your undersatnding and help :).

Hello aslesp,

I actually found using ORDER BY name SQL statement to work just fine. :) Thank you for the advice!