Print action at scheduled time NiceLabel

Issues related to label design (working with databases, data processing, RFID encoding etc.) and printing (from NiceLabel Express, NiceLabel Pro, NiceForm and NicePrint)

Moderators: Georges, milos, NiceLabel Support Team

Locktech
Enthusiast

Print action at scheduled time NiceLabel

Post by Locktech » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:01 am

Hi,

is it possible to set a scheduled print action in Nicelabel PowerForms?

For instance, an auto export from SAP to .xlsx occurs every day at 22:00. Same filename and same location.
Is it possible to do a scheduled print at 23:00 so every daily export will be picked up by Nicelabel?

Locktech
Enthusiast

Re: Print action at scheduled time NiceLabel

Post by Locktech » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:38 am

So I've played around with Nicelabel Automation Builder and Automation Manager.

In Builder I have created a very simple 'File trigger' which is checking an Excel document (.xlsx) for changes. I've set actions for 'Open label', 'Set Printer' and 'Print label'.

I've noticed that the Automation Manager acts differently handling files between shared locations (like network drives) and local files on the computer.

With the files on the shared location, I changed the Excel document (trigger) by replacing it with another document (same name, different content) and the print action was carried out twice. Where it should print 2 labels, it printed 4, 2 of each.

I did the same for local files on the computer and the job carried out correctly, just once.

In the .msix file I've noticed a Detect-Options part where 'check automatically for changes' was checked. I unchecked this and selected the option 'check for changes in folder by interval' and set this for 4 seconds.

This solved the issue on the shared location where each print action was carried out twice. Does this sound familiar?

The setup should be that an automatic Excel export from SAP, each day at 08:00 AM, will be picked up by Nicelabel Automation Manager and print the labels

jure
NiceLabel
NiceLabel

Re: Print action at scheduled time NiceLabel

Post by jure » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:51 am

So according to your description, you have already found the solution, which is great!
This solved the issue on the shared location where each print action was carried out twice. Does this sound familiar?
Yes, you used the correct procedure. Network drives can be of many types, and Automation can have troubles detecting the change, as also an external application which is saving a trigger file can save it twice (once when it creates the file, and secondly when it actually saves the content in the file). So using "interval detection" is correct choice in this case.
There is no place like 127.0.0.1