Counter issue: Quantity variable must have a numeric value

Issues related to label design (working with databases, data processing, RFID encoding etc.) and printing (from NiceLabel Express, NiceLabel Pro, NiceForm and NicePrint)

Moderators: Georges, milos, NiceLabel Support Team

huijbrem
Enthusiast

Counter issue: Quantity variable must have a numeric value

Post by huijbrem » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:46 am

Hi there,

I'm trying to make a decremental counter (Label_counter.jpg) based on a variable (Start_volgnummer.jpg). When I go to the print screen the label preview throws the following error: "An error occured during data processing. Quantity variable Label_Counter must have a numeric value"

How do I solve this?

regards
Martijn
Attachments
Start_volgnummer.JPG
Start_volgnummer.JPG (105.68 KiB) Viewed 353 times
Label_Counter.JPG
Label_Counter.JPG (111.39 KiB) Viewed 353 times
Martijn Huijbreghs
Nicelabel 2017 LMS 17.1.1

Mytch
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Re: Counter issue: Quantity variable must have a numeric value

Post by Mytch » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:29 pm

Martijn,

Hmmm.. I can't seem to reproduce your issue. Can you tell me the version of NiceLabel Designer you have installed (Help > About)? Latest version of NiceLabel 2017 is 17.3.1 and latest version of NiceLabel 2019 is 19.1.

I have also attached a sample for you to test. Please let me know if there are any issues.

Thanks,
Mytch
counter.nlbl
(18.28 KiB) Downloaded 15 times

huijbrem
Enthusiast

Post by huijbrem » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:13 am

Hi Mytch,
Thank you for your effort. I have downloaded your example which works fine. I have also created a new labeldesign and rebuild the counter which also works fine. So to me it seems like there is some glitch in the labelfile itself. The best thing to do is to rebuild the entire label from scratch. But perhaps you can take a look at my labelfile to see if you can find anything? Currently we are on Nicelabel 2017 17.1.1

thanks in advance,
Martijn

#update: I have managed to delete the counter and the variable and recreate them and found out the problem lies within the cutter properties in the labelfile. If I disable the cutter, the print preview works fine. If I enable the cutter, the print preview returns the error. The cutter property wants me to set the cutter based on a variable. I can choose not to, and set the cutter to cut after each label, but that setting can't be saved. After closing and opening the labelproperties the cutter automatically i set back to cut based in a variable. The printer I use for testing does not have a cutter.

#update2: I have made a new variable with the default value of 1 and use that as source for cutter setting. This resolves the problem. Which is a remarkable workaround because the cutter property allows you to choose between a variable and a numeric value. The numeric value doesn't seem to respond, but a numeric value from a variable does...
Attachments
Traylabels v0.3.nlbl
(6.09 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Martijn Huijbreghs

Mytch
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Post by Mytch » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:08 pm

huijbrem wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:13 am
Hi Mytch,
Thank you for your effort. I have downloaded your example which works fine. I have also created a new labeldesign and rebuild the counter which also works fine. So to me it seems like there is some glitch in the labelfile itself. The best thing to do is to rebuild the entire label from scratch. But perhaps you can take a look at my labelfile to see if you can find anything? Currently we are on Nicelabel 2017 17.1.1

thanks in advance,
Martijn

#update: I have managed to delete the counter and the variable and recreate them and found out the problem lies within the cutter properties in the labelfile. If I disable the cutter, the print preview works fine. If I enable the cutter, the print preview returns the error. The cutter property wants me to set the cutter based on a variable. I can choose not to, and set the cutter to cut after each label, but that setting can't be saved. After closing and opening the labelproperties the cutter automatically i set back to cut based in a variable. The printer I use for testing does not have a cutter.

#update2: I have made a new variable with the default value of 1 and use that as source for cutter setting. This resolves the problem. Which is a remarkable workaround because the cutter property allows you to choose between a variable and a numeric value. The numeric value doesn't seem to respond, but a numeric value from a variable does...
Martijn,

Okay, issue is the Output Rules on Label_Counter [Text_6], which uses a prefix of ":", which makes the value non-numeric for cutter option. We should not really be looking at the formatted output, so I'll submit to our Development team and see what they have to say. Any updates will be to NiceLabel 2019, though, so a fix will not be available for NiceLabel 2017 (if implemented). For now you can see the Solution is to use a variable that does not have output formatting using non-numeric characters. Alternatively, you could turn off the prefix option from Label_Counter and just use a Concatenate Function.

The real problem is that you say you just want the cutter to cut ever 1 label, but it does not work for some reason? So then you try to use a variable instead. Does this not work for you?:
screenshot_05.jpg
screenshot_05.jpg (63.72 KiB) Viewed 325 times
I attached a modified copy of your label again to see how it goes. Maybe you can also update to the latest version of NiceLabel 2017 here too:
http://ftp.nicelabel.com/software/demo/ ... el2017.exe

Please let me know if you still have any troubles.

Thanks,
Mytch
Traylabels v0.3_TEST.nlbl
(5.3 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

Mytch
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Post by Mytch » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:03 pm

Hi,

After speaking with our Development team, I can verify that options configured in Document Properties (like batch printing and cutter) are affected by a variable's output rules by design. In most cases, a variables output rules are only to be displayed on the label, but there are certain instances where we allow pass-through to the Form and Document Properties for compatibility with NiceLabel 6.

Again, the solution in this case is to get your value of "1" to save as expected, or to use Concatenate Function instead of output rules.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Mytch

huijbrem
Enthusiast

Post by huijbrem » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:45 pm

Hi Mytch,
Thank you for your effort so far. As mentioned I have created a variable with default value '1' and used it for the cutter settings. I think this workaround is a bit strange because the setting you showed in screenshot_05.jpg suggests it would do the same, but unfortunalety the system does not allow me to save this setting.

For now it is working, so case closed :)
Martijn Huijbreghs