Textflow from one side to another

Issues related to label design (working with databases, data processing, RFID encoding etc.) and printing (from NiceLabel Express, NiceLabel Pro, NiceForm and NicePrint)

Moderators: Georges, milos, NiceLabel Support Team

Edvardas
Enthusiast

Textflow from one side to another

Post by Edvardas » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:37 am

Hi,

We are printing double sided care labels. We set the data from SQL database, but we have a case where sometimes on the front of the label we have bunch of composition data, but on the back is just single washing and care description. Which means there's bunch of data on the front, but it's almost empty on the back. Obviously we are wasting material by not using all the space.

Is there is any way to have "textflow" from front of the label to the back. Depending on character length in that data field for example?
Is there is a VBS script that would count the characters on the front and move anything that is longer to the back? Is there is a setting that it wouldn't cut in the middle of the word as well?

Thanks, Ed

Mytch
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Re: Textflow from one side to another

Post by Mytch » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:08 pm

Edvardas,

We've seen similar problems or requests like this in the past, where users want to have text "overflow" into another textbox at a certain point (or with excessive content). This isn't really supported in every scenario, but there are some options. Easiest one is to create two subset functions - one for front side and one for back side. You just need to have fixed length or common delimiter to split content. You can split some input value into two separate outputs.

If this needs to be more variable, then I suggest you use Python or VBScript to create some more complex logic. I'm sure it should be pretty easy to get a character count from your input source, split in half, and assign each half to a variable to be displayed. Tricky part is just making sure you don't split the middle of a word (only split on space character, maybe). But you still need to have some reference of how much content can fit on each side. Text Box objects also provide several Text Fit options in the Properties which may be useful.

Regards,
Mytch

Edvardas
Enthusiast

Re: Textflow from one side to another

Post by Edvardas » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:53 pm

Hi,

Thanks for reply. I will check what i can do with VBS. As you mentioned, hardest part is to not split some words/instructions in random places.

Thanks, Ed