NiceLabel Designer Print

Issues related to label design (working with databases, data processing, RFID encoding etc.) and printing (from NiceLabel Express, NiceLabel Pro, NiceForm and NicePrint)

Moderators: Georges, milos, NiceLabel Support Team

PeterWessel
Newcomer

NiceLabel Designer Print

Post by PeterWessel » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:54 am

Hi,

when printing an NiceLabel (.lbl extension) to an output file using NiceLabel Designer is there a way to abstract the ZPL part from that prn file ??

Where do I find that information.

Thank you and kind regards,

Peter.

Kyleodonnell
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Re: NiceLabel Designer Print

Post by Kyleodonnell » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:50 pm

Peter,

You can find it by going to Print then clicking the check box that says "print to file", that will ask you to save a file as PRN which will contain the print stream that would be sent down to the printer.

fathetx
Newcomer

Post by fathetx » Fri May 08, 2020 7:20 pm

Can I find the structure of the PRN file anywhere? I need to search and replace some of the embedded ZPL commands so would like to identify where they are safely, without risk of corrupting the binary parts.

Tim

Mytch
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Post by Mytch » Fri May 08, 2020 11:24 pm

fathetx wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:20 pm
Can I find the structure of the PRN file anywhere? I need to search and replace some of the embedded ZPL commands so would like to identify where they are safely, without risk of corrupting the binary parts.

Tim
Tim,

.PRN output will be in the printer's native language (ZPL for Zebra). There is no common structure of .PRN across different printer vendors. Perhaps you can refer to the ZPL programming guide for additional information:
https://www.zebra.com/content/dam/zebra ... -pm-en.pdf

Although maybe there is a way to let NiceLabel do this natively instead if you explain your use-case?

Regards,
Mytch

fathetx
Newcomer

Post by fathetx » Mon May 11, 2020 10:35 am

Hi Mytch,

Thanks for the reply. I have been tasked with taking a .PRN file from Nicelabel, which has been stored in a database, and printing it. However, I also need to be able to adjust certain things like the number of copies and and the label offsets by doing a search/replace of the relevant commands in the ZPL. The .PRN files I have been given to work with appear to be binary files with ZPL embedded in them and so I'm looking for a way to read the PRN file and safely locate the embedded ZPL as I don't think a search/replace operation on the binary file as a whole is "safe". The PRN files I have seem to be divided into sections, beginning with some sort of magic number followed by the section number. For example:

Code: Select all

1B 23 23 01 A0 02 03 00 00 00....
1B 23 23 03 1C 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00...<some ZPL follows>
:    :    :    :    :
1B 23 23 05 00 00
Thanks,

Tim.

Kyleodonnell
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Post by Kyleodonnell » Tue May 12, 2020 3:01 pm

Fathetx,

Generally the print quantity is set by a PQ tag, as far as offsets good, you should consult the ZPL programming manual https://www.zebra.com/content/dam/zebra ... -pm-en.pdf