sending printer preferences to printer

Issues related to label design (working with databases, data processing, RFID encoding etc.) and printing (from NiceLabel Express, NiceLabel Pro, NiceForm and NicePrint)

Moderators: Georges, milos, NiceLabel Support Team

pherms
Enthusiast

sending printer preferences to printer

Post by pherms » Fri May 22, 2020 4:52 pm

Hi,

I am working with a Hitachi RX-SD160W printer. I have the Nicelabel driver installed. The installed version of the driver is: 8.2.00.18455.
In this driver there is a preferences page. On this preference page there is a print delay value and it allows me to delay the start of the print.
I am using Powerforms 17.3.

For each job we send to the printer we may need to have a different delay. I know I can store the preferences in the label, but if I go down that path I will get a gazillion labels, which I have to maintain. I would rather maintain 1 or 2 labels and have this delay in a variabele.

Please see the screenshot of the preference window. The delay field is cirkeled in red.
Is it possible to put the delay in a variable and send it to the driver/printer when a job is printed?

Thank you in advance.

Mytch
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Re: sending printer preferences to printer

Post by Mytch » Tue May 26, 2020 4:47 pm

pherms,

Hmmm so this parameter is unique for every print job? As you can see there is no native support for this, but there are still some ways to pass data from NiceLabel applications to the printer/driver. The one option I see is to use the "Send Data to Printer" Action and set the print parameter manually before each job. You will have to use the 'green check box' in the Printing Preferences to pass the parameter to the hardware, so that it is not sent with each label job. This should allow you to send the printer commands for your desired delay, then print the label per usual.

As far as what commands to send.. you can save a sample label's print stream (.PRN) with the "Print to file" option. Then find what commands are being passed when you send some test value for the delay (set 999 for delay, then search the file for '999'). If the command must be sent with the print job, then the problem is much more complicated. You will probably need to maintain unique labels somehow or modify the print stream after being initially generated by NiceLabel. Like: Run solution > create unique print job > print to file > search and replace delay > send modified PRN to printer

Good luck!

Mytch

pherms
Enthusiast

Re: sending printer preferences to printer

Post by pherms » Fri May 29, 2020 10:01 am

Hi Mytch,

Thank you for your reply.
Yes the data needs to be variable as it is different for each print job. I went down the "Send Data to TCP/IP Port" route, because I have found the technical manual of this specific printer and I think I have found how to set the delay on the printer.
I have to test my work in the coming days and see if this is working or not.

Kind regards