Waiting for an external program to finish.

Issues related to label design (working with databases, data processing, RFID encoding etc.) and printing (from NiceLabel Express, NiceLabel Pro, NiceForm and NicePrint)

Moderators: Georges, milos, NiceLabel Support Team

guy
Newcomer

Waiting for an external program to finish.

Post by guy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:47 pm

I have been trying to use the 'Open document/program' action in NiceForm to run an external program to retrive some data. The program runs fine when I click the button. The problem is that NiceForm continues with the next action without waiting for the external program to finish. Is there a way to change this so it waits for the program to exit and all the data is ready? I am using 5.1.

Thanks

lpatty
NiceLabel
NiceLabel

Post by lpatty » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:25 pm

The problem is that NiceForm and your other application are not integrated, so Niceform has no feedback to tell it when to continue.

If there is a programmer's interface in your application, you may be able to write a VB script that is executed after your "Open..." Action that allows the script to be notified when an operation is complete on the other program. Otherwise, maybe a simple VB script that pops up a message box that forces the user to manually validate the other process is finished before moving to the next action in the button.