Form Printing Error

Issues related to label design (working with databases, data processing, RFID encoding etc.) and printing (from NiceLabel Express, NiceLabel Pro, NiceForm and NicePrint)

Moderators: Georges, milos, NiceLabel Support Team

sploeger0709
Enthusiast

Form Printing Error

Post by sploeger0709 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:36 pm

Background:
I am adding barcodes to current label configurations that are tied to print forms navigated through forms created in NiceForm Pro. The design file is pulling info from a database containing multiple different product codes.

Issue:
I have replaced the original design files with new files containing the barcode content. The files are named identically to the originals (the original files have been moved to an Archive folder). The forms work fine with the files containing the BC info when displaying the preview. But when I select Print I get the attached error. The error seems to be that it is not reading that a record has been selected in the table on the print form.

Troubleshooting:
I have returned one of the original files, without the BC info, and the form works fine again.
Attachments
NiceLabel Print Error.jpg
NiceLabel Print Error.jpg (50.88 KiB) Viewed 2305 times

milos
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Re: Form Printing Error

Post by milos » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:20 am

Hi,
Wrong database setup on the new design file can be reason for the problem.
Select "All records" on new design files.
AllRecords.png
AllRecords.png (32.15 KiB) Viewed 2284 times
Milos Jenko
NiceLabel Technical Support

sploeger0709
Enthusiast

Post by sploeger0709 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:57 pm

That doesn't seem to be an option, and I'm not sure that I want that option.
NiceLabel DB Window.png
NiceLabel DB Window.png (35.92 KiB) Viewed 2280 times
I have the form setup to select a record from the DB not all of them. The problem is that the form will load the individual record in the preview on the form, but when I select the Print button I get the error in the original message.
NiceLabel 4814 Window.png
NiceLabel 4814 Window.png (115.85 KiB) Viewed 2280 times
I can print without error directly from the design file.

Dennis Ehmig
Addict
Addict

Post by Dennis Ehmig » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:06 pm

This sounds to me like you have made a db connection in the label as well as the form. Then you are selecting records in the form and try to print them?
If that is the case, the print will fail, because in the label there are no records selected, because you can't select them when you print from form with this double db connection.
There are solutions to this:
1) Remove the database connection in the label and replace the fields with normal variables. In the form you can then import those variables and link them in the table object to the corresponding database columns.
This will make the label somewhat dependant on the form, test printing will not be easy without form.
2) Keep database connection in label but create a filter variable, filter the database with that variable and print all records. On the forms side you would then only map the filter variable to the table column.
This way you can select entries in form and print labels but still have the option to do test prints from Designer with the PK.

If you don't need to do test prints very often (or don't have too many variables so you can enter them by hand should you do a test print), I'd recommend 1). This way you have the database connection in 1 place and there can't really go much wrong.