Markem driver with print quantity (Allocation)

Issues related to using NiceDrivers thermal printer drivers

Moderators: Georges, milos, NiceLabel Support Team

MattiaITA
Enthusiast

Markem driver with print quantity (Allocation)

Post by MattiaITA » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:23 pm

Hallo,
one of my customers is using Smartdate 5 printers, with Nicelabel 5, for several years.

Last week he bought a new Markem 5800, and he would like to test it with Nicelabel. I installed for him the new driver (5.1.16.6511), because the old one doesn't support the new printer.

But with the new driver a problem appared: the label is ok, but there is a strange behaviour of the new printer: when I send nr.1 label, the printer creates an "allocation" for 1 label, prints 1 label, and with the second label it goes into error.
When I sends 100 labels, the printer creates an "allocation" for 100, and go 1,2,3.. until 100 (and then error). :?

When the printer is in error, an operator must go to the printer, and from the touch screen delete the allocation; the printer is on the production line, and prints on the packages that exit from the line.
The problem is that the customer doesn't know in advance how many labels he needs. And if he sends 100 labels, but after a while he wants to change the label or change the number, the new command doens't work. So he can't send, by example, 10000 printouts and, after 4503, change the label. :shock:

The big problem is that this behaviour is now not only on the 5800, but on the SmartDate5 too. :evil:

So, how is possible to avoid this behaviour ? I didn't find any option in the driver proprieties. I don't want to use "allocation", or limit the number of printouts.

Thank you
Mattia

Tekumze
NiceDriver Development
NiceDriver Development

Re: Markem driver with print quantity (Allocation)

Post by Tekumze » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:18 am

Driver uses print quantity for print allocation. This functionality was requested so that users have a way of limiting the number of prints from a label.

If print allocation is not something that user needs they can select "unlimited quantity" on the print dialog.
Alternatively "export to printer" will also not set the print allocation number.
The difference here being that exporting to printer does not select the label after it was sent.
Bostjan Zvanut
Driver Development

heihei
Newcomer

Post by heihei » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:38 pm

Hello Tekumze,

We have the same issue with the new driver.

We need to send a lot of labels and the smartdate5 can't always handle it, if we send the number of labels we need with our current driver (5.1.15.6349) the SmartDate controller sometimes freezes. We fixed this by not sending all the labels and only send one.

And the operators are using our own software to print the labels via NiceWatch so they can't choose the "unlimited quantity" option.

Is it possible to make an option in the driver to print the old way?

Tekumze
NiceDriver Development
NiceDriver Development

Post by Tekumze » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:52 pm

There is no such option in the driver itself.

As far as I know NiceWatch should have an "unlimited" option as well.

If by "Using our own software" you mean that you're printing in a way that somehow bypasses the NiceWatch quantity selection you can try entereing a quantity of 9999.

That could "trick" the driver into thinking that "unlimited" was set.
Bostjan Zvanut
Driver Development

adibitar69
Newcomer

Post by adibitar69 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:46 pm

which one have that unlimited option?