Variable length labels on Datamax E4305A

Issues related to using NiceDrivers thermal printer drivers

Moderators: Georges, milos, NiceLabel Support Team

philrobertsODFW
Newcomer

Variable length labels on Datamax E4305A

Post by philrobertsODFW » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:51 pm

We are using Datamax-O'Neil E-4305A Mark III label printers to print commercial fishing licenses on durable (waterproof) plastic stock, using Optio document formatting software to construct the license formats and merge them with customer data for printing. The system works fine except for one issue. Some license documents have a different length, but we need to produce these from the same printer as the standard licenses. The printers are equipped with cutters and supplied from a continuous roll of media stock, but we have been unable to successfully intermix label lengths. We are using NiceLabel driver version 5.1.7.5408

I found a comment in NiceLabel documentation that dynamic size configuration is possible by using a driver feature allowing custom stock definition. I cannot find any way to implement this, however.

Apparently the driver constructs the label for printing using the current label length in the driver configuration settings even though the printer is configured with multiple stock sizes and each label format selects a paper stock corresponding to the required document length. While NiceLabel documentation suggests that the driver can be configured to accept the label length for each label, we have not been able to accomplish this.

Is it possible to control the label length dynamically using the NiceLabel driver? How is this done?

Matt
NiceLabel
NiceLabel

Re: Variable length labels on Datamax E4305A

Post by Matt » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:06 pm

Hello,
If I understand you correctly, your Datamax printout is equipped with a continuous roll media, but you have the need to print labels of different lengths to that same printer (and have the printer cut after the print out).

Glad to hear you're using the NiceDriver! With that in place, you can direct the printer to cut from within the NiceLabel designer:
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (56.67 KiB) Viewed 7876 times
If your goal is to design one label that has a varying length based on how much data is placed on it at print-time, NiceLabel allows you to specify a "variable label size"
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (55.68 KiB) Viewed 7876 times
...where the label size is determined by the top and bottom-most objects at print time.
NiceLabel

philrobertsODFW
Newcomer

Re: Variable length labels on Datamax E4305A

Post by philrobertsODFW » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:44 pm

Thanks, Matt. Your answer tells me that NiceLabel driver has the capability we want, but I believe that Optio fails to send correct information to the driver. I am sure NiceLabel designer would solve this, but budget limitations prevent me from acquiring any additional product licenses at this time. We use Optio for other purposes so we have found a way to use it for label generation, but we have this issue with page-length control. I am discussing this issue with Optio support also, hopefully we can resolve the problem.