Label and ribbon dimensions

Issues related to label design (working with databases, data processing, RFID encoding etc.) and printing (from NiceLabel Express, NiceLabel Pro, NiceForm and NicePrint)

Moderators: Georges, milos, NiceLabel Support Team

zbina
Valued Contributor

Label and ribbon dimensions

Post by zbina » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:38 am

Hello,
I would like to ask, what is the correct way to create labels.
Is it necessary to define any margins (rim) aroud the label? Shouldnt be printer able to recognize them? We are printing some very tiny labels, and even 2 milimetres are crucial for printing well.
We are using mostly Zebra ZM400 and some ZT410.

It worked very well so far, but suddenly it seems to work the different way (no margins needed).

Also, which radiobutton should be selected prom the first screenshot? :-k

Printers are installed as a network printers and users do not have the right to change printer settings. My goal is to setup all company printers same way, that every label can be printed everywhere.

Thank you for your answer,
Zdenek.
Attachments
snip.JPG
snip.JPG (55.44 KiB) Viewed 2854 times
tempsnip.png
tempsnip.png (105.76 KiB) Viewed 2855 times

Mytch
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Re: Label and ribbon dimensions

Post by Mytch » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:24 pm

zbina,

In this situation, it is possible to use either printer driver settings or label settings; it just depends on what you are looking to accomplish and if settings need to vary based on printer. This could include speed, darkness, graphic dithering, etc.

In regards to setting margins, that is a design aspect left up to you to decide. Sometimes there are label formats that you can accommodate by defining print margins, but it is not necessary. The default is to have no set margins.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

zbina
Valued Contributor

Post by zbina » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:39 am

Thank you for your answer, printer settings are clear to me now.
My goal is to setup all Zebra printers in company in a way, that "everything can be printed everywhere and it will look exactly the same" [-o<

Let me explain little more.
If I print label with margins on Zebra ZT410, it looks different from label printed on ZM400. The difference is in the margin. Same document printed on ZT410 is placed "higher", document printed on ZM400 is placed "lower". Look at pictures, you will understand.

0001 = ZM400, no margins = OK
0002 = ZT410, no margins = NOK
0003 = ZM400, 2mm margins = NOK
0004 = ZT410, 2mm margins = OK

Maybe if i find some compromise and set the margins 1mm should help, but is there any other solution except for replacing all zebras with one model? [-(

Cant it be unified? Is there any error in my setup?
Drivers are up to date (v 5.1.16.6854), all driver defaults are the same, no margins set.

Please help me find the correct solution.
Attachments
0001.JPG
0001.JPG (13.45 KiB) Viewed 2842 times
0002.JPG
0002.JPG (13.45 KiB) Viewed 2842 times
0003.JPG
0003.JPG (13.28 KiB) Viewed 2842 times
0004.JPG
0004.JPG (14.36 KiB) Viewed 2842 times

Mytch
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Post by Mytch » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:44 pm

Interesting - thank you for attaching those images. You mentioned, "It worked very well so far, but suddenly it seems to work the different way (no margins needed)". Could you elaborate on that more? Are you saying you were using this label on printers fine for some time and then it just started to be off-center over time? Or was this after some type of driver update?

Did you be sure to check the offset in printer properties as well? If everything is default and zeroed out then it sounds like a calibration issue. If those printers have been in service for a while, I would recommend starting there. After being properly calibrated, you can try again with your tests and see if that fixes the problem.

zbina
Valued Contributor

Post by zbina » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:35 am

I investigated little more and here are my observations.
As I mentioned: "It worked very well so far, but suddenly it seems to work the different way (no margins needed)"

Maybe this is what happened. Let me start from beginning - We have one label designer (person, who is responsible for all production labels). To test her designs, we gave her in the past Zebra TLP2844-Z. Small Zebra printer, which was suitable for her table, she didnt want to have a large printer. Why not :-k
And here is the problem - recently I changed her printer and I gave her ZM400. Some time after this change, she printed out some older labels and she told me, it is not working very well.

In fact, everything works the same all the time. But as I also mentioned, from Zebra ZM400 lables are OK without margins, from Zebra ZT410 labels are OK with margins. So she printed that label on a new printer ZM400 and it went out badly, she thought it is wrong.

So today I calibrated printers - https://www.zebra.com/content/dam/zebra ... 400-en.mp4
result is the same - ZM400 and ZT410 are printing same labels differently. Margins make the difference.

So... solution could be to set offset "2mm top" margin on all ZT410 and design all labels without margin? ](*,)
Are other customers experiencing the same issue? Can you ask someone?

Thank you for your cooperation on this international mystery. We will be smarter in the future :) \:D/
Zdenek Bina.

Mytch
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Post by Mytch » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:56 pm

zbina,

Sorry to hear you are still having problems with your labels printing properly. It seems you have an issue with your specific printing environment, but we would like to take a closer look. We have created a new support ticket for you and ask to check your private messages.

Thank you.