Saving solution in public folder

Issues related to label design (working with databases, data processing, RFID encoding etc.) and printing (from NiceLabel Express, NiceLabel Pro, NiceForm and NicePrint)

Moderators: Georges, milos, NiceLabel Support Team

ssSFrankSss
Valued Contributor

Saving solution in public folder

Post by ssSFrankSss » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:13 pm

Hi,

I have Powerforms Suite 2017, I wonder if I save a .nsln file in a public folder and then access it with NiceLabel Printer from many desktops simultaneously instead copy pasting it in each computer - would this work, or it might create any conflicts?

Thank you in advance,
Frank

Mytch
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Re: Saving solution in public folder

Post by Mytch » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:49 pm

ssSFrankSss,

There are generally no issues with opening the same Solution on multiple machines in NiceLabel Print unless there is a database connection that needs to be refreshed. However, if you open the same Solution in NiceLabel Designer instead, you should see the file open in Read Only mode, since the Solution can only be edited by one machine at a time.

ssSFrankSss
Valued Contributor

Post by ssSFrankSss » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:28 pm

There is connection with MS SQL Server. I believe it will not create any conflicts. If there is something, please tell me, so I don't break something. The local variables are saved on local memory of each PC suppose right?

Mytch
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Post by Mytch » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:29 pm

ssSFrankSss,

For the SQL database, you can use the Refresh Table action to retrieve the latest records and ensure the most recent data is being used. Use of Global Variables could get sticky, such as using a global Counter for serialization (two concurrent print sessions reading/writing at the same time). Connecting to an Excel sheet will also not work properly in this scenario, since Excel can only handle one connection at a time.

Nothing should "break", however, there may be some data management challenges, as described. "Local variables" are controlled only by the current instance of NiceLabel and do not get saved across sessions unless Dynamic Value is enabled for that variable.