Filtering Printed Output on Label from Variable

Issues related to label design (working with databases, data processing, RFID encoding etc.) and printing (from NiceLabel Express, NiceLabel Pro, NiceForm and NicePrint)

Moderators: Georges, milos, NiceLabel Support Team

HaydnWVN
Valued Contributor

Filtering Printed Output on Label from Variable

Post by HaydnWVN » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:03 pm

Hi, have a question about this and an idea how I could 'mask' the output to achieve what I want, but just wondered if there is a tidier way of doing things. :wink:

We have Automation running, picking up an outputted CSV from Production/ERP software. Part of that we are outputting a 'code' from one of our items, like a property of it. For some 'codes' we want them displayed. We're playing with the idea of also using that Variable output for something else for certain items to mark as something different during production. For these we would not want to print it on the label (which goes out to customers), for the other values we do want it. :-k

Rather than doing something clever with VBA (not something I've done anything with), or requiring more development from our Software vendors to filter these out, my first thought was using Mask (under the properties of the Text box containing the variable). Thankfully my Variable is 1 character, so is to use the character I don't want displayed as the Mask character, the printed output on the label would then be blank space for these items. Am I right in thinking this will work? #-o

Thanks

Kyleodonnell
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Re: Filtering Printed Output on Label from Variable

Post by Kyleodonnell » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:37 pm

Hayden,

The mask is simply for applying a special format (such as -'s) to a variable without the data needing to be entered as such. You may need to create two variables and use conditional visibility on when to display the variable based on the data coming from automation. We would need examples of your file s in order to take a look more in depth.

HaydnWVN
Valued Contributor

Post by HaydnWVN » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:45 am

Hi Kyle, conditional visibility sounds like the solution but is not something I've even seen or read about... Yet! :D

Basically if my CSV output is:

Code: Select all

Printer,Qty,Label1,ItemName,Market,Range,Size,Customer

Silverstone,1,Headerlabel,Item3456,P,T,Small,Customer1234
Silverstone,2,Itemlabel,Item3456,P,T,Small,Customer1234
Silverstone,2,Itemlabel,Item5432,P,S,Small,Customer1234
Silverstone,2,Itemlabel,Item6789,A,P,Small,Customer1234
We want to see Headerlabel with P+T codes.
We want to see Item3456 label with P+T codes.
We want to see Item5432 label with only P code displayed.
We want to see Item6789 label with A+P codes.

So the Variable Range can have codes T, S, & P, yet when it is an S code we don't want it printed.

If you want to see the actual output I can message you it (GDPR I'd like to keep genuine customer names etc out of the public realm) and automation/label designs.

Kyleodonnell
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Post by Kyleodonnell » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:56 pm

Hayden,

It may be a combination of scripting to be able to check against values and set to a Y or N as conditional visibility works with Boolean logic
visbility.PNG
visbility.PNG (43.8 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
will the items stay the same all the time or could there be variations? that would bring another level of complexity to the label design

HaydnWVN
Valued Contributor

Post by HaydnWVN » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:43 pm

Predominantly there will be a controlled 'list' which may need to be expanded, but at the moment we're only looking to exclude 1 such value from that list.

So list currently has: S & T. We want to exclude T. In future it may have R in the list, but we're happy printing that (or whatever value we decide to use, it's unconfirmed).

I'm happy with needing to tweak the label design(s) as required when that list is populated/decided upon. It's a small number of labels.

Conditional visibility looks perfect for that, will give it a play and test it out. Thanks!

HaydnWVN
Valued Contributor

Post by HaydnWVN » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:46 am

HaydnWVN wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:43 pm
Conditional visibility looks perfect for that, will give it a play and test it out.
Tested and working perfectly, thanks for your help as usual Kyle!

Will document here for anyone else.

Kyleodonnell
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Post by Kyleodonnell » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:50 pm

HaydnWVN,

Great to hear!!

HaydnWVN
Valued Contributor

Post by HaydnWVN » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:21 pm

Have attached my test/demo files here.

Basically CSV Trigger file has a 'Range' Variable:

Code: Select all

BinCode,AcceptedDate,Description1,Description2,Description3,Size,Market,LotNo,Qty,Supplier,Range
Bin,01/01/2001,Name1,Name2,Name3,3L,A,WS000001,5,Trader1,T
Bin,02/01/2001,Name1,Name2,Name3,3L,A,WS000002,5,Trader2,S
Bin,03/01/2001,Name1,Name2,Name3,3L,A,WS000003,5,Trader1,T
On our Label we want to display Range Variables of 'S' but not those displaying 'T'.

So on the Label Layout Properties for that Variable I have Conditional Visibility as ≠ T (so not equal to T). This will future proof things for me as it is entirely possible in future we have other values in there we want to display, just don't want to show T.
Attachments
Epsom_Haydn_Label300120-0852.csv
Automation Trigger (note Range Variable on each line)
(278 Bytes) Downloaded 21 times
Epsom 9040 Testing Label1.nlbl
Test Label with Range Variable (conditional visibility)
(5.21 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Epsom Trading Bed Label Testing v1 310120 Haydn.misx
Automation (with all variables)
(3.89 KiB) Downloaded 25 times