Remove characters from excel spreadsheet

Issues related to label design (working with databases, data processing, RFID encoding etc.) and printing (from NiceLabel Express, NiceLabel Pro, NiceForm and NicePrint)

Moderators: Georges, milos, NiceLabel Support Team

ncvetojevic
Newcomer

Remove characters from excel spreadsheet

Post by ncvetojevic » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:32 pm

Hello,
I currently have a label that contains a text field that is populated when someone selects a record from an excel spreadsheet on a form. The problem I am running into is that certain cells in the excel spreadsheet contain a specific character at the beginning of the string in the cell but I want to remove this character in nicelabel for printing (ex. I have NJ-123 but i only want to print 123 on my label). This is an easy task in excel unfortunately I only have "read-only" permission for this particular spreadsheet therefore I cannot edit this file or make new columns with this adjustment. Is there any way to achieve this in nicelabel? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Zaza
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Re: Remove characters from excel spreadsheet

Post by Zaza » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:35 am

Hello

Easy solution for printing would be to do this with python or VB script.

You would take database connection to column you want to change and use short script that removes first few characters. Script would output this as Result. You can use this script as a Data connection on text filed on your label.

This would not actually change your your excel file but it would just change output at print time.

Best regards,
z

ncvetojevic
Newcomer

Re: Remove characters from excel spreadsheet

Post by ncvetojevic » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:45 pm

I found a work around to achieve same task. Unfortunately I do not know python or Vbscript so I had to find another way.
Thanks for your help