Extra wide label on dot matrix

Issues related to label design (working with databases, data processing, RFID encoding etc.) and printing (from NiceLabel Express, NiceLabel Pro, NiceForm and NicePrint)

Moderators: Georges, milos, NiceLabel Support Team

HaydnWVN
Enthusiast

Extra wide label on dot matrix

Post by HaydnWVN » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:19 pm

Hi all

We use Oki Microline 320 printers with tractor fed wide labels, they're over 9" wide, yet only 1" tall.

Installing the Microline 320 using the windows driver, or Oki driver will not give us wide enough 'pages' to specify these labels.

Am I missing something obvious? The option for printing on a roll of labels is greyed out. I only see it when selecting a Thermal printer. I need the same label dimension options as Thermal but with a non thermal printer!

Kyleodonnell
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Re: Extra wide label on dot matrix

Post by Kyleodonnell » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:33 pm

HaydnWVN,

We ask that you send in a support case to the support team at support.americas@nicelabel.com. This will require some troubleshooting, they will also need a link to download the driver so they can test it.

HaydnWVN
Enthusiast

Post by HaydnWVN » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:06 am

Hi Kyle many thanks for the reply.

Have raised a ticket with EU support (I'm in the UK).

Even using a 'Generic / Text Only' driver does not present any different 'page' options. So I think my question to more directly linked to - how can we define a label on a non-thermal printer which is not a 'sheet of paper' and not in the predefined stock list?

Is there a way to manually add a label to the predefined stock list? Or a list of all the stock within the predefined list with all of the dimensions so I can choose one from the list similar.

Our labels are made from 'Tyvek' and we buy them in pre-cut from a label supplier, I have no specific brand or way to identify them from the predefined list, other than dimensions.

Kyleodonnell
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Post by Kyleodonnell » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:23 pm

Haydn,

Unfortunately, right now there is no option to add a custom stock natively in the software. However, in this blog post, it explains how to edit the SQLite database viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25073&p=71973&hilit ... ock#p71973 that stores the stocks.

What you are running into seems like a limitation of the driver as even though you print on a roll of labels, the driver itself does not allow for it. Generally, we recommend using the label dimensions to design your label but if the driver does not allow you to do it, it would have to be brought to the printer manufacturer as we simply have to obey the limitations of a driver that are set within it.

HaydnWVN
Enthusiast

Post by HaydnWVN » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:05 pm

Just to update on this.

We've drawn a blank as it looks like Oki no longer do drivers for many of their older printers, as they started to be included in Windows Update in recent years. For our particular printer Microsoft seem to have pulled the Oki driver install since the update to W10 build v1803 (Spring Creator Update), whereas the install works in W10 build v1709 (Fall Creators Update).

We've had to take the business decision to replace all Oki ML320's with new Toshiba TEC B-852 thermal printers. 8-[

Kyleodonnell
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Post by Kyleodonnell » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:10 pm

Hayden,

Thank you for the update, we are sorry to hear that the driver is not being supported by windows anymore