Automation error - multiple triggers

Issues related to label design (working with databases, data processing, RFID encoding etc.) and printing (from NiceLabel Express, NiceLabel Pro, NiceForm and NicePrint)

Moderators: Georges, milos, NiceLabel Support Team

HaydnWVN
Enthusiast

Automation error - multiple triggers

Post by HaydnWVN » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:00 pm

Hi

New user. Am working through Automation to draw a variable from a CSV which contains my data, but also the printer to use, label and quantity.

Please find my source CSV attached - test dump from software which I've expanded on to add my required fields.

I've built my Labels like this (can attach if it helps?):

My Automation is set like this (sets variable then uses them):

Setting Variable:

Variable:

Yet when running Preview or actual trigger I'm seeing an error saying the variables are empty:

Not quite sure where I'm going wrong, I'm sure it's something I've missed or misunderstood so probably quite simple! Is anyone able to give me some pointers? Thanks.
Attachments
multi label test.csv
(2.35 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Last edited by HaydnWVN on Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kyleodonnell
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Re: Automation error - empty variable

Post by Kyleodonnell » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:45 pm

HaydnWVN,

We recommend looking at the automation CSV sample, as you do not draw from the CSV connected to your label, but from an outside source such as a CSV dropped into a folder that then passes data to the label. Please look here on your machine
C:\Users\Public\Documents\NiceLabel 2017\Automation\Samples\CSV Simple to find the the automation sample

HaydnWVN
Enthusiast

Post by HaydnWVN » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:07 pm

Many thanks for the reply. Looks like I went wrong by populating my label variables from the CSV (the easy option!) when I should be manually creating them with the data filter to define the structure and variables, not just the label data field linking to the data. Without data structure, Automation had no variables as although the data was in the CSV, it had no way to define the structure, with the Label template having no links to variables (the data being hardcoded in the label). So I was seeing zero values to my variables and the error message. ](*,)

I've now been able to get the result I wanted, am now going through to define actions with variables set from my CSV (printer, quantity, label to use etc) to prove proof of concept before we go further. \:D/

Thanks!

HaydnWVN
Enthusiast

Post by HaydnWVN » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:48 am

Working through and getting much closer to what I want but have something strange happening.

I'm using a variable in my CSV per line which Automation uses to determine how many labels to print (also variables for printer and label template to use).

But with my variable set as 1 I'm getting 2 copies of the print job. So if I have 3 lines, each with 1, I get 6 labels in line sequence 1-2-3-1-2-3. Log reports as if the trigger has run twice (my trigger is file change, so I'm editing the CSV in Notepad and just using file/save). Is this likely something I've set wrongly in Automation or is my prompt triggering twice?

Even adding a 3s delay to 'Detection options' in the Trigger doesn't resolve (yet the description there may indicate that only works with folder changes, not file changes?).

My Action screen looks like this:

Kyleodonnell
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Re: Automation error - multiple triggers

Post by Kyleodonnell » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:09 pm

Hayden,

Is the file itself being generated from an outside source? or are you simply dropping it into a folder manually? This would be better suited for support case as the team may need your files so they can test the trigger https://www.nicelabel.com/support/technical-support

HaydnWVN
Enthusiast

Post by HaydnWVN » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:16 am

Hi Kyle

The file will be created by an outside source in future, but for now it's a CSV I've created myself with the required variables we'll hopefully need for certain procedures which will lead to our NiceLabel outputs. Our software developers will be sourcing the output tables/fields from their platform to output the CSV for us in future tied into a button click.

Part of me thinks it is the process, have I created multiples of variables so one trigger is processing twice?

Variables are in my Structured Text filter, within Variables in my Trigger and also mapped within my Actions under Data Mapping.

Will email support.

Kyleodonnell
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Post by Kyleodonnell » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:13 pm

Haydn,

If you created a variable in the automation trigger it can be used in multiple places inside the trigger itself for actions, filters etc. The support team will be able to get to the bottom of the issue.

Thanks,