Speed Up Printing Sheet of Labels

Issues related to label design (working with databases, data processing, RFID encoding etc.) and printing (from NiceLabel Express, NiceLabel Pro, NiceForm and NicePrint)

Moderators: Georges, milos, NiceLabel Support Team

ryanp
Enthusiast

Speed Up Printing Sheet of Labels

Post by ryanp » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:45 pm

We have a fairly complicated label that we print on a continuous feed roll. The data for the label comes from an ODBC data source where we specify product number (about 2k total) and language (5 different ones). The time to print (or preview) the label is about 3 seconds. We then print multiple copies of the same label.

We've now taken this same label and formatted it to print on a sheet of labels with 18 individual labels. The preview time for the sheet is over 2 minutes. Again here, we use the same data for the whole sheet of labels and print multiple copies.

Is it calculating the label 18 times? Is it querying the database 18 times? I checked "Use the same record for entire print job" so I would think it should only query the database once.

Details of our labels:
* We use a python function to calculate / concatenate the value of an rtf object.
* The rtf contains a graphic which changes depending on the product category
* We store the graphic as a string so we can have the text flow around it (see viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27023)
* We use data from 2 tables in a Postgres Database using ODBC

Any tips on what I could do to improve the printing speed? We're still trialing NiceLabel and this seems to be the last hurdle we have to replace our current system. For that reason it's also quite possible I've overlooked something obvious as a new user.

Thanks in advance.

Kyleodonnell
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Re: Speed Up Printing Sheet of Labels

Post by Kyleodonnell » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:12 pm

Ryan,

We would recommend opening a support case https://www.nicelabel.com/support/technical-support as we would need to see how everything is designed in order to give a best recommendation on how to improve