Can I print a portion of the Human Readable barcode?

Issues related to label design (working with databases, data processing, RFID encoding etc.) and printing (from NiceLabel Express, NiceLabel Pro, NiceForm and NicePrint)

Moderators: Georges, milos, NiceLabel Support Team

TimBentley
Newcomer

Can I print a portion of the Human Readable barcode?

Post by TimBentley » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:47 am

Hello. My company is printing labels with NiceLabel and we have to put bar codes on them. Some are very small, and though they scan well, the human readable is very hard to see by human eyes. My team needs to be able to read the bar code to ensure they package our products correctly. We are not allowed to shorten the bar code itself in our industry, but I was wondering if it's possible to print the entire bar code, but then shorten the human readable to just the last 4 or 5 digits. This would be much easier to see and would solve lots of problems. Thank you.

Kyleodonnell
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Re: Can I print a portion of the Human Readable barcode?

Post by Kyleodonnell » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:08 pm

Tim,

This is possible to do in the Nicelabel software. You would create a subset function
subset.PNG
subset.PNG (12.55 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
You can choose to skip a certain amount of characters and choose to grab other characters
In the screenshot, I have an 8 digit barcode number but I am skipping the first 3 characters and grabbing the last 5. You would use the subset function as the new human readable.

In the screenshot, I have a variable called barcode attached to the barcode and the subset is using the subset function. So I enter 12345678, and the subset function grabs 45678
barcode.PNG
barcode.PNG (31.43 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
We have attached a simple sample to this post
Attachments
subset.nlbl
(3.36 KiB) Downloaded 102 times

TimBentley
Newcomer

Re: Can I print a portion of the Human Readable barcode?

Post by TimBentley » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:17 pm

Thank you very much.