Framing Error

Label printing integration (NiceWatch middleware and ActiveX programming interface)

Moderators: Georges, milos, NiceLabel Support Team

steve_c
Newcomer

Framing Error

Post by steve_c » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:12 pm

Hello,

I have a .net application with the 2019 SDK that is printing to a SATO M-84Pro which currently has an RS232 interface.

We are in the process of migrating our labels to NiceLabel so for now this app has to print using the NiceLabel SDK as well as by sending raw data to the COM port using SATO's API for the labels that haven't been upgraded to NiceLabel yet. I was using the .net Ports.SerialPort object prior to NiceLabel but installing the SATO printer driver prevented me from continuing to use this as it was blocking the COM port.

My problem now is if I have my COM port / printer interface baud set to 9600 then the raw data is fine but NiceLabel takes about 5 seconds to print per label. If I set that higher (tried all that my printer allowed - 19200, 38400, 57600) then I do see improved performance for NiceLabel but also get random framing errors on my printer for both types of labels.

I'm wondering if NiceLabel recommends a specific interface for printing? We've used LAN connections for high speed lines and haven't had a problem. This is a standalone station so I was hoping to stick with a 232 interface. Would anyone have experience using a USB interface? I think that might be my best option at this point but don't know its performance and would be reluctant to purchase the new interface cards unless I know it's going to help.

Thanks in advance -

margy82
Enthusiast

Re: Framing Error

Post by margy82 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:15 pm

Hi, I use USB connection with Sato Printers and I found that connecting through unique address to the printer has better performances than connections through drivers. It is well explained in the documentation of Sato API

steve_c
Newcomer

Post by steve_c » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:34 pm

Hi Margy,

Thanks for the reply. I have a USB interface card ordered and hope to have it to test next week as a replacement to my existing RS232 interface.

Can you use the SATO API as a replacement for NiceLabel's .Print command and be able to print using the NiceLabel SDK without installing the SATO driver? Or are you saying that I should be using the unique address for non-NiceLabel printing?

margy82
Enthusiast

Post by margy82 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:30 pm

You could use Sato SDK to send SBPL commands or Nicelabel SDK. As you prefer. I use SATO SDK to connect to printer via USB using unique address for connection bypassing driver to speed up communication to check printer status and then nicelabel sdk to open labels, edit variables and print.

steve_c
Newcomer

Post by steve_c » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:48 pm

So do you still have the driver installed? If not, how do you select the printer of your label object prior to printing it?

The lag I'm experiencing using the SATO RS232 interface is on the .Print command, not on connecting or checking the status. I'm hoping that switching from RS232 to USB takes care of that lag. My .NLBL files are only 8KB but it takes about 5 seconds from the time I execute the .Print command until the label comes out. And the ONLINE light is blinking the entire time so I'm assuming RS232 can't handle that much data.

I also tried .AppendToOutputFile and .OutputFileName with NiceLabel and then sent the contents of that file using .SendRawData with SATO and it still took around 5 seconds.