Alert variables in Control Center

Label printing integration (NiceWatch middleware and ActiveX programming interface)

Moderators: Georges, milos, NiceLabel Support Team

jcheevers
Newcomer

Alert variables in Control Center

Post by jcheevers » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:25 pm

Hello,

I'm relatively new to Nice Labels. I created a new Automation alert in Control Center, and I accepted the defaults. The alert email gets sent out, but variables such as [LabelFileName] are coming out as blank. I'm wondering if I missed a step. Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Mytch
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Re: Alert variables in Control Center

Post by Mytch » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:53 pm

jcheevers,

Sometimes Automation can have errors that are not related to the label/printing process. For example, if you have an error during data processing or using some Trigger logic prior to setting the label name. If label is unknown at time of error, this field will be blank. Please let us know if this is not the case.

Thanks,
Mytch

jcheevers
Newcomer

Post by jcheevers » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:55 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I created an automation alert. In the automation builder I am setting the [LabelFileName] prior to Open Label.
I removed the label files from the directory to trigger the alert. It's not putting the label name into the email though.

Thanks,
Joe

Mytch
NiceLabel Support
NiceLabel Support

Post by Mytch » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:24 pm

jcheevers,

Yes, exactly what I was describing where logic of setting the label itself is failing - not the label print itself. Printing error of a label will provide the name of the label having an issue. But if you have an error about setting the label name itself, then technically this is not a label printing issue. [LabelFileName] variable gets the current label, but in the case of the label not existing, no value will return.

I understand your concern about this functionality, but this seems to currently be working as designed. I recommend posting your concerns as a new idea:
viewforum.php?f=12

So that [LabelFileName] is returned for every Open Label action, even if the label does not exist. There might be a good reason this works how it does currently, though.

Regards,
Mytch